Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The changes are a comin.....

I don't have any pictures but I will definetly get some this weekend if not before. A lot of what has been going on lately you can't really see but they are needed changes.

This last weekend Adam worked on a lot of electrical and plumbing, meaning he was acting like a mole and lived most of the weekend under the house in the crawl space. Thanks Chris for leaving the coveralls, they have definetly come in handy this last week.

I spent most of my weekend taking off wallpaper in the master bedroom. I intially started using the Dif product that you spray on and then scrape, I think my dear husband felt sorry for me when after nearly an entire afternoon I had no more than a 2ft by 2 ft area where you coudn't see any remanents of the wallpaper. Everywhere else had these little spots of the paper stuck here and there, it was going to be a long process. At the idea of taking nearly all my time on this one project his keen judgement said lets go buy a steamer to take that stuff off. Thank God for wallpaper steamers, it was amazing! During approximetly the same time it took me to get the 2X2 area cleared I had almost the entire rest of the room completed. If you are ever removing wallpaper and need a steamer please ask to borrow ours, don't even try to use any other method.

Yesterday was a busy day around the house and some visable changes were made. The contractors came to take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room and installed the patio door in the kitchen area. I went by last night after work to check out the progress and it looks awesome. It made me so excited to start seeing transfomations in the house. Adam is going to think I am a nut, but I could start to think of hearing pitter patters in and out of that door to the backyard to play, one day down the road. I will definetly post pictures. Yesterday Adam's cousin Jason also came to look at the 1979 furnace we currently have and give us an estimate on updating. I think we have decided to go with a 93% variable speed furnace and hopefully can get that installed soon, before these tempatures decide to drop!

Also thanks to Steve for coming by to keep Adam company and pulling probably hundreds of nails out of the overlayment so we can get that removed and put the new stuff down.

Tonight we are going to meet with the cabinet guy and try to nail down our order for cabinets and countertops in the kitchen so we can get that completed. We are also going to investigate what they can do for us in regard to bathroom vanities as this has been an area where I have had a hard time really finding something I like.

Other things we hope to accomplish this week:

  • Order the hardwood floor
  • Order bathroom vanities
  • Get new overlayment installed in kitchen, dining and bathrooms and any subfloor that needs replaced
  • Find tile for bathrooms and laundry area
  • Determine where to place can lights in the kitchen
  • Finish the electrical work
  • Get any plumbing done that we can get to

2 comments:

Stephanie B said...

Hi Phillipses! Kim, Steph L, and LB told me about your blog tonight at Girls Night at Starbuck's. Hope you don't mind me dropping by. Looks like you guys have a lot of work ahead of you, but a lot already done! Would love to see it sometime. We missed you tonight! Hope to see you soon. ~Steph B.

Phillips said...

Thanks for dropping by Steph! I hope to make it to Girl's night again sometime in the near future. But I am just getting ready to post about the decisions we made last night, this part is fun getting to finally start picking out stuff and knowing it gets to go in the house soon.